>> Well, i had the same question in the past, and i found the answer in a "hidden" spot of the help documents; let's see:
>>
>> you have to do the following:
>> -write \int^a _b
>> -put the cursor in a way where the integral symbol is selected(with that purple box around it
>> -Press the following key sequence: Alt-M-l -Take a look at your beautiful integral
>

> I thought I'd add this to the wiki... but does anyone know what "Alt-m l" actually does?
>
> Or is it as simple as that "Alt-m l" toggles limits from being shown in 'display' v.s. 'inline' mode?

> And while talking about that.. is 'display mode' and 'inline mode' the
> correct terms for this?

If you can read german, than have a look at

http://www.fkurth.de/uwest/LyX/Dokumentation/LyXMathebefehle.pdf

Chapter 9.2

In english:
M-m l (Alt-M-l) toggle between the two commands \limits \nolimits.(You can write the example in the following way:
\int\limits_b ^a )
For integrals the limits are always set beside the operator (nolimits-mode). For sums the limits are set beside the operator in inline formulas and over/under them (limits-mode) in dislay-style formulas. So M-m l has nothing to do with inline ore display-style mode.