On Jan 14, 2008 10:18 AM, rgheck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've been using Fedora ever since I started using Linux, but the
> second-rate status of KDE under Fedora is starting to get to me, so I'm
> thinking about switching. But then: to what? I don't think Kubuntu is
> for me. Gentoo would be an option, but then I'm not sure I want to be
> quite that bleeding-edge. So, the question: What?
>
> Richard

My vote is Slackware. It is arguably one of the most stable
distributions available and it is the oldest distribution still
actively maintained. It's not going to hold your hand like Kubuntu or
have graphical configuration tools for everything, but it's not very
difficult to learn how to set it up. Trust me! If I can set it up, you
can. It's not as hard as people try to claim it is. Here's a very very
good guide to setting up Slackware (Did I say very good guide? Yes,
very good): http://www.howtoforge.com/the_perfect_desktop_slackware12.
What I've really found is that I LOVE being in control of my system
and knowing what is going on and how to change it. Slackware is very
configurable and what I've heard before is this: Once you learn Debian
you know Debian, once you learn Slackware you know Linux.

I've tried Ubuntu, Kubuntu, Fedora, Debian, PCLinuxOS, OpenSuse, Mint,
Gentoo, Red Hat, and Mepis (and probably a few others, I don't
remember now).

The reasons I really like Slackware are simple: stability, speed,
things just work. I'm sure everyone will agree that Slackware is more
difficult to get setup and you need to know a little bit about linux,
but once it's done, it's done and you can get to work and never worry
about crashes. Another reason I really like it is that you can install
the default Slackware system which I would consider to be comparable
to Debian Stable and then through http://slackbuilds.org/ (my personal
favorite) you can install the latest software, which would be like
Debain Unstable but without the issues that sometimes arise by trying
Debian "unstable" software on a "stable" system. I don't want to get
into any distro flame wars here, I'm just saying this is another
reason why I prefer Slackware.

Anyways, that's just my opinion as everyone has given theirs. I'm just
glade so many people are using linux.

Cheers,
/Bob