On 13.06.08, Anthony Campbell wrote:
> On 13 Jun 2008, G. Milde wrote:
> > On 12.06.08, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> In answer to your previous comments: I tried setting the keyboard to
> Greek, but it doesn't do anything. Looking at the greek.kmap file I see
> that it doesn't really contain any redefinitions, unlike the one for
> vim, which does, so I wouldn't expect it to have much effect.

You could consider setting up an alternative (utf8-ready) greek.kmap.
However I rather suggest to switch the keyboard layout at the X-Windows level.

> Using a desktop manager might work. I don't use Gnome or KBD - just
> Icewm. But my wife is using Ubuntu with Gnome and I'll have a look to
> see if it is possible to make that change the characters - I've found
> some information on Google.

There are plenty of applications for this that do not depend on Gnome or
KDE, e.g. xkbsel, gkrellm-xkb, xxkb, just browse your distributions
package list for programs with "xkb" in their name.

Günter