On Tuesday 08 September 2009, Iain Mac Donald wrote:
> Hello Jean-Marie,
>
> On Tue, 08 Sep 2009 08:55:19 +0200
>
> Jean-Marie Pacquet <j...@pacquet.net> wrote:
> > The figure 6.1 named "Schematic of letter paper's pseudo lengths" on
> > page 170 of the KOMA-Script english manual (scrguien.pdf) is your
> > best friend.
> > You can change firstheadwidth, firstfootwidth and refwidth in the lco
> > file and adapt them to your needs.
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I have scrguien.pdf too (but my version has the schematic on page 185)
> and I note on page 201
>
> "The simplest rule is as follows: either refhpos is left at null and so
> the width and alignment of the reference fields line are left to the
> option refline, or refwidth as well as refhpos are set by the user."
>
> Using this info I commented out refline and tried to set refwidth
> and refhpos. I edited the LyX template, LaTeX Preamble in the
> \KOMAoptions section and added my new info. However, I then get an error
> when creating a dvi.
>
> Package scrkbase Error: unknown KOMA option `refwidth'.
> and
> the same for `refhpos'.
>
> Any further pointers would be appreciated.
>
> Regards,
> Iain.

Pseudolengths can only be set in .lco (letter class option) files, e.g.
\ProvidesFile{mylcofile.lco}[]
\...@setplength{refwidth}{6.5in}

Then you need to load the .lco file in your lyx preamble
\LoadLetterOption{mylcofile}
or alternatively if you used the \ProvidesFile{} method
just add myfilelco to your \documentclass[] options

which in lyx is found in

Document -> Settings -> ClassOptions -> Custom