Wolfgang Engelmann <engelm...@uni-tuebingen.de> írta:

>I do not quite understand
>document>bibliography
>
>there are only 3 citation styles:

OK, I try to explain.
These 3 options are not citation styles.

LaTex has its own default command set and what it can do.
However this set is limited. Therefore your can load packages
(you could call them modules or plugins as well) which add
further options (possibilities) to what you can do with LaTeX.
That is loading packages increase the capabilities of LaTeX.
These packages add new commands and/or modify basic
commands.

>default (numerical)
>Natbib with style Author-year and numerical
>and Jurabib

When you select default, LyX does not load any package.
In this case you can use only the default LaTeX bibliography
capabilities, which is very limited. It only support numeric type
citations (if I am correct).

If you want different citation/bibliography types you can load
packages (sty files). There are many of them, one is  jurabib,
another one is  natbib package. These packages change
LaTex default behavior and add new commands.
All these packages are different. If you want to use one of them
you have to learn how to use that specific one. The package manuals
describe how to use the given package. I only use the natbib
package because it is very flexible.

Along with the package (sty file) bibliography generation requires
a .bst file which defines the style (look) of the citations and the
bibliography (references). The bst style file has to support a given
package. Generally the sty files are accompanied with different
bst files you can use with them. For example the natbib package
comes with abbrvnat.bst, plainnat.bst, and unsrtnat.bst styles,
which are guaranteed to work with natbib package.

>What if I want Kluwer style or something else?

In optimal case there should be a Kluwer.sty file and a Kluwer.bst
file which  together make the correct output. If there are no such
files you have to find another pair which makes the same output.

>How would I modify Natbib with something else besides Author-year (eg
>round, comma)?

When you select natbib in Document->Settings->Bibliography, lyx
loads natbib package in the preamble:

\usepackage[authoryear]{natbib}

or

\usepackage[numbers]{natbib}

depending on your selection.

Turn on source view (View->View Source), set it to showing
Preamble Only. Note that you have to insert at least one citation
for the command to be inserted.

>In the preamble, and would this overwrite the bibliography
>setting? (eg with your \setcitestyle{comma,aysep={}}?

Yes. Since the package is already loaded, you can not load it
again, or you'll get errors.

Instead modify the package options (without loading it again)
by  \setcitestyle command. Options and keywords are described
in the natbib manual.

>Why is default only numerical?

This is how LaTeX was written. It is not a problem, since there
are many packages that extends it.

>I can't leave everything unchecked in Bibliography, I have to check
>one.

Yes, but if you check default (numerical) no additional package is
 loaded. It equals to not selecting anything.

bcsikos