Am 28.03.2014 18:01, schrieb Daniel CLEMENT:

I was trying to learn LyX better, and I noticed an unexpected error
message when compiling the Math guide. It's a Babel error message
complaining that the "ngerman" option was not defined.

This also happened with the User Guide, while other docs compiled fine
(Introduction, Learning Guide, Embedded objects...)

With texlive-lang-german installed, everything works!

I also have TeXLive (on Windows) and don't need to install an extra language pack for German. Do you use a special Linux distribution that has its own TeXLive-packages?

Now, German is a
beautiful language, but isn't that weird?

In the documentation files we sometimes use another language to show e.g. the multi-language features. Sometimes we translators are simply to lazy to translate. For example for the explanation of multicolumns the text in the columns is English because it is just a dummy text to fill the columns. There are some similar cases.

regards Uwe