Hello Eric,
You wrote:
> Someone on this list, with a mac book, must be daring enough to give it a go!
>  I'll wait to see what happens!

Well, since you put it that way. <grin>. I had one of the first white macbooks,
which I think was in late 2006 or early 2007. Apple's documented limit for that
model was 2GB. OWC determined that model could actually hold 4GB and could
address 3GB. I installed the extra RAM and ran Tiger with no problems. In mid
2008 I purchased my first and only MBP and gave the white Macbook to a nephew
in college. Last week I spoke with that nephew, now a grad student, and asked
how the macbook is holding up. He said it's still working great, He uses it all
day, every day. He upgraded the HD to a 500GB 7200RPM drive and is still
running Tiger with the 3GB RAM. He'll now be getting my retired last-generation
Air and the old white macbook will go to another starving student somewhere in
my family tree.

HTH,
Bryan