I am wondering if this is the same issue I'm experiencing:

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/macosx-port-dev/2014-August/006700.html

If so, it's because Java 7 and later are defaulting to OpenGL drawing on Macs, which is slow, and there appears to be no way to change this behavior. Java 6 uses some other form of drawing. This can be revealed by adding -Dsun.java2d.trace=count to the java command line and noting the differences in the output between Java 6 and Java 7/8.