Hi,

On Wed, Feb 01, 2006 at 12:41:02PM +0000, Tomas Frydrych wrote:
> The osso debus service name handling is badly designed and cannot handle
> properly quialified names; to get your app working:
>
> * The full name of your service has to be com.nokia.revsh

That is not actually true. I'm using eg. a fi.tut.cs prefix and my app
works fine both in Scratchbox and on the device.

> * the desktop file *must not* contain fully qualified name:
> X-Osso-Serivce=revsh

Mine does contain the full name, with the fi.tut.cs prefix, and it
works.

> * the service file *must* contain fully qualified name
> Name=com.nokia.revsh

True, and IIRC the service file name must match this name, ie.
com.nokia.revsh.service for the above example.

> * you *must* pass the short name to osso_initialize:
> osso_initialize("revsh" ...)

This is what I do too.

> It is silly and ignores the dbus spec on naming, but basically, whatever
> you pass into osso_initialize() will always end up prefixed with
> 'com.nokia.'.

How so? I don't know the internals of osso_initialize() but if your
desktop file has the correct fully qualified service name, it should be
fine, right?

> Tomas
>

> Tomi Ollila wrote:
> > (void)osso_initialize("revsh", PRJ_VER, false, null);  /* called after
> > gtk_init() */
> >
> > (what should I do with return value ???)

Save it somewhere, you need it eg. with the rpc functions in libosso:
http://maemo.org/platform/docs/api/libosso/html/index.html. Other than
that, dunno.

> > In revsh.desktop
> >
> > [Desktop Entry]
> > Encoding=UTF-8
> > Version=1.0
> > Type=Application
> > Name=RevSH Tunnel
> > Exec=/var/lib/install/usr/bin/revsh-tunnel-gui
> > X-Osso-Service=invalid.too.revsh

I also put X-Osso-Type=application/x-executable in my desktop file,
don't know if it affects anything.

> > # FIXME Icon
> > Icon=qgn_list_home
> >

> > In revsh.service

By my reasoning this file should then be called
invalid.too.revsh.service

--
Ilkka Poutanen, research assistant
Tampere University of Technology, Institute of Software Systems