Clemens Eisserer wrote:
I also have problems with my Kingston-1GB card (it says its MMC-4.0
compatible). With the 52mb kernel the 770 doesn't even boot when the
card is inside :-/

If I could help you somehow please let me know, if you don't bother
... no problem ;)

Maybe we could take it off the list if you want to go into details and try to check what's wrong. Send reply directly to me if you think conversation may be longer.

1. Which OS you have and which exact kernel from my site you used?
2. Does it boot when card is NOT inserted?
3. What happens when you insert card later (end of dmesg output)? Is the card detected when you close doors? Are there I/O errors in the log (after you insert the card or later when you try to read/write)? 4. If you have swap enabled automatically, can you turn it off (delete swap file) and test if it boots fine with card inserted without swap?

Other ideas
- fat filesystem on first partition is corrupted (can happen when device reboots randomly for any reason), try diskcheck on PC
- ext2 on other partitions is corrupted, try e2fsck

So far I's seen only success stories except Larry (only when multiblock writes are enabled0 and you. Would be nice to see where is the problem.

Also there is another kernel where the MMC bus speed is configurable
http://handhelds.org/~fanoush/maemo/zImage-su-18-200639-2gb-mmcplus52Mhz-setmax.zip

Basically there is additional /sys/devices/platform/mmci-omap.2/host_freq_max file

You can set the maximum before inserting MMC card. Default is 48000000 but you can lower it to 24000000, 16000000 or 12000000 (original Nokia timing) or lower. Sane values are 48000000/x where x=1,2,3,4,...

Maybe I could make the default to be 12000000 and people could try to increase it (need removing and reinserting the card) via

# echo value > /sys/devices/platform/mmci-omap.2/host_freq_max

Maybe some mmcplus cards could work safely at 24Mhz but fail at 48Mhz. Or maybe it is not problem of the card but OMAP chip in N770. I'm not sure it is designed to run at 48Mhz. It was not needed before high speed mmc (and SD) cards appeared on the market.

Frantisek