Klaus.K Pedersen (Nokia-M/Helsinki) wrote:
> So what you are seeing is that the "DSP task policy" is active even
> though there are no dynamic dsp task loaded?

No, not exactly.

First thing - I did not know there is a way to output audio without
guess this is new feature in OS2008 and with the frequency scaling
complictions it looks like this feature is a solution to many
performance problems (like videos in flash player) and is generally useful.

Also it makes the pcm dsp tasks (i.e. tasks playing just uncompressed
audio) obsolete and worse choice because of lowered arm clock when they
start.

So what I see instead is that gstreamer framework probably uses those
pcm dsp tasks (instead of the new way) so when you are playing music in
Real audio format (like the BBC radio preinstalled in the firmware) the
audio is decompressed on CPU but pcm2 task is started and frequency
drops to 330. And so in fact when listening to internet radio you are
penalized twice with real audio - frequency drops and audio is decoded
on cpu so user experince with microb is degraded. It is slightly better
with MP3 audio but still it is unexpected penalty which did not happen
with N800/OS2007 and 770 too. On those systems playing mp3 on background
came virtually for free.

Also that is why I asked why there are pcm dsp tasks at all in OS2008?
Or if they are there for better mixing than the logic which reduces
clock from 400/133 to 330/220 should be more clever and kick in only
when it is really needed. The switch (and audio click) is there anyway
if you are first playing music in something SDL based (ScummVM) and then
start audio via gstreamer (internet radio).

Frantisek