Thanks for the reply.

The application might still be useful without virtual keyboard.  I do
not necessarily need the full database functionality of ChessDB, just
the ability to enter and analyse positions.  As long as I can select
menu items with the pointer and drag pieces around, it could work.

The idea is, during subway rides, to set up positions or go through
games from a book.  ChessDB lets you do that easily with the mouse, as
well as keeping track of variations so you can backtrack and try
different ideas.  Those portable magnetic chess sets or the  ones with
the pegs are awful because of the time you spend fumbling with the pieces.

There do exist small computer-based chess machines, but the ones I've
seen have a lousy user interface for analysis.  ChessDB is much better.

In practical terms such a tool would be more useful to an active
tournament player than simply playing against gnu chess.

What I need to start out with is to figure out how to install Tcl/Tk
into the scratchbox environment.  ChessDB does the usual './configure'
followed by 'make' and 'make install'.  The ./configure step chokes when
it doesn't see Tcl/Tk.

-Will