Nicola Mfb wrote:
>> With N900 we don't know yet but hopefully the bootloader will be u-boot.
>
> That's nice, the best would be if we'll be able to update/replace
> u-boot, and have a way to debrick the device if something goes wrong.

u-boot is just my guess, any other choice does not look sane to me, but
still it can be a wrong guess.

OMAP3 is designed to be unbrickable, it can boot from usb or serial or
mmc directly from its boot ROM, bootloader in flash is not needed. I'm
not sure how configurable is the priority list for booting (i.e. if it
could be locked to load bootloader only from NAND flash) but hopefully
it will by possible to bypass even the bootloader in NAND(u-boot or
whatever).

See also http://elinux.org/BeagleBoard#BootRom

>> Also the hardware is very similar to other OMAP3 based devices (OpenPandora,
>> Beagleboard, Touchbook, even Palm Pre) so the chance of bit rotting is
>> lower. Previously problematic parts (wi-fi, dsp) are more open now, new
>
> May you elaborate please? wifi is exposed normally?

In N900? Yes. N8x0 used own closed wireless stack and own closed wlan
driver. Wlan driver was opened later but it needs newer kernel which
lacks other stuff. See http://stlc45xx.garage.maemo.org

N900 uses normal mac80211 kernel stack and the wl1251 driver is open
source too.

Also apart from Nokia being more open with N900 also TI is more open
with OMAP3 in general (unlike with OMAP2 based N8x0) so there is more
information available and bigger community overall. beagleboard.org
community is quite active

> Again about that, are applications able to full use opengl
> acceleration without using closed userspace libraries?

Not now. Looks like PowerVR's business model is currently not open
source friendly :-) Maybe someone will write open alternative in future?
http://forum.openhandhelds.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=341

> Finally, it may be nice if Nokia may donate some devices to FSO and
> OpenEmbedded core team, any interest/chance about that?

We don't know yet about N900 device developer program but it may be
useful to join maemo.org community right now and become a karma hunter
;-) For previous program check
http://flors.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/n810-maemo-device-program/
http://flors.wordpress.com/2007/11/05/rewarding-community-contributors/
Also having application in Fremantle extras-devel repository might be a
good idea :-)

Frantisek