On Tuesday 19 January 2010 16:02:47 Marcin Juszkiewicz wrote:
> Hack, hack, hack... Then someone will write app which will require libosso
> from 51-1 and we will hack to make it possible for users with older
> firmware to install it etc etc etc?
>
> So far Maemo apps often behave like not being tested (or had bugs at design
> phase) - this will just add new ones.

That is the reason Nokia insist on using integrated releases, and not allowing
updates to the components shipped in the release.  That is a great strategy
for reliability, testability and supportability.  It is just bad for user
behaviour, flexibility and openness.

There are no right answers.  All such discussions (and there are variants of
them in every software development/QA/management interaction I have ever
participated in) involve dificult trade-offs.  Once the decisions are made we
then want to come up with the best experience for the users.

I just felt that if the update introduced some additional capabilities, which
would actually work on the base release, it would be possible for the
community to build and support them for users who had not upgraded.  If that
is not feasible then so be it.

Graham