From: maemo-developers-boun...@maemo.org
[mailto:maemo-developers-boun...@maemo.org]on Behalf Of Jeremiah Foster
Sent: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 5:23 PM
To: Ryan Abel
Subject: Re: How to destroy your community

On Jan 20, 2010, at 23:21, Ryan Abel wrote:

> On Jan 20, 2010, at 1:04 PM, Jeff Moe wrote:
>
>> I've seen frequent mentions of how distinct maemo.org is from Nokia. But
the reality seems that nothing at Maemo can really happen without Nokia's
tacit approval. Is there anyone that has server access that isn't paid
(directly or indirectly) by Nokia? Can we start getting the servers admin'd
by community admins instead of depending upon Nokia? A first step would be
to document (on the *outside/public*) wiki the current server arrangement.
Another good step would be to get DNS off their servers. Until that happens,
the whole "maemo is distinct from Nokia" is just a façade.

> Maemo is a trademark owned by Nokia and used for their software platform
and their products. You're confusing Maemo and maemo.org (maemo.org being
the community-owned website). In doing so, you're confusing the discussion
and making it much more difficult to participate and arrive at a useful
conclusion. "Maemo" and "maemo.org" are not equivalent interchangeable
terms.

Nor are they as distinct as you would imply.

Jeremiah