Well one option is to flash your phone and you can read instructions here
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_tablet_firmware.
You can use the built-in Backup application to take a backup, put it on
your pc and flash the cell phone and then transfer back the backup to phone
and restore it (using mass storage option).
That flashing info page contains info for many maemo devces other then
n900, so try to focus on the right things :)