Gentlebeings,

I have read a depressing and recent article suggesting that DOM
manipulations are invisible to most screen readers [1]. There are some
workarounds suggested in [2], but for the most part it looks like
dangerous territory.

What's worse, there seems to be no way to detect screen readers
reliably. I am determined to provide some JavaScript in the 'standard'
interface, as it will make for enhanced ease-of-use for those sighted
people using a modern browser.

(I think it would be good for screen readers, too, if there was just
some way for me to control/hint the "focus" of the screen reader, but at
the moment there doesn't seem to be. Screen readers don't even seem to
support an aural/speech stylesheet, much less provide some JavaScript
object that lets me know I'm in one.)

I found a page (that is eluding me at the moment) detailing a method for
showing content to screen readers yet hiding it from 'regular' clients.
I was thinking of adding a "Screen Reader Support On" link to the top of
all pages that would only show to screen readers; does this seem like a
good approach?

Note that this would be in *addition* to the ability to get a JS-free
version of the interface by using a different URL prefix for any user
agent that doesn't want the JS action.

~ethan