Laura Carlson wrote:

> Heavyweight DOM scripting, often results in inaccessible content,

The main point I'm driving at is *any* dom manipulation - heavy, light,
fat-free, or decaf - appears to be invisible to the screen reading user
unless I do it "downstream" of the focused text. I'm talking
super-simple stuff like element.style.display='none' or "highlighting"
text on another part of the page.

I don't think it's reasonable to argue that I need to reduce usability
for sighted users in order to cater to the (sadly) poor implementation
of current screen readers.

> It is fine to use javascript, unobtrusively, but, one should be aware
> of accessibility issues, and, if you don't NEED javascript for
> something that you can do it server side, often the server-side
> solution would make more sense.

For the most part I'm talking about things that aren't doable on the
server.

Visual feedback is extremely important for assisting sighted readers.
Highlighting changes transiently, simplifying pages by hiding elements
until they're needed, providing immediate error/warning/information
messages, and allowing partial form submission are all things that make
for a user experience that is much easier for the sighted user to grasp.

I have read from several places that the ability to "play" - i.e. make
changes iteratively and receive immediate feedback - encourages
interaction and experimentation.

Is this "needed"? No. Is it part of a good user interface for the bulk
of users? Yes.

Many of these tactics - including highlighting (i.e. 're-read this
section'), hiding elements (don't read this until such-and-such
happens), immediate messages (read this now) and partial form submission
would all be helpful to people using screen readers.

If I had *any bloody way* to tell a screen reader what to read next,
none of what I'm doing would need to be disabled for the screen reader
with JavaScript.

> It is far easier to deal with accessible JavaScript by ensuring that
> the core service being provided is not reliant on scripting. That way,
> if for some reason the JavaScript is inaccessible, it can be disabled
> in a browser, and thus the core functionality remains accessible.

Are you suggesting I provide *no* link for the
screen-reader-with-javascript client and let them at some point figure
out that they're not seeing what's going on and thus turn off javascript?

That seems like a worse solution.

> In my opinion accessibility and Javascript boil down to one question:
> if you take away/disable javascript, will this prevent the user from
> accessing or retrieving the information?

The problem I face is not when JavaScript is not active, the problem is
when JavaScript *is* active *and* behaves correctly - i.e. performs the
dom modification I've told it to - but the browser/screen reader doesn't
bother to tell the user.

~ethan fremen