On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 5:11 PM, Toshio Kuratomi <a.bad...@gmail.com> wrote:

> We'd love to have work done on the archier!  I know that we're ditching
> pipermail entirely and that archivers are becoming separate from the core
> mailman.  What I don't know is whether mailman3 will eventually have
> a standard archiver which lives outside of the core mailman but is
> recommended for installation along with it.

I see.. that sounds like option-b.

I highly recommend reconsidering this and including a standard archiver
with mailman. If the number of sites that use pipermail is any indication,
I think failing to include something will basically mean lots of lists
without any archives.

> At PyCon a few weeks ago, I demoed hyperkitty which showed some of the
> things that a next generation archiver could do.

I recommend you take a closer look at
ClearsilverListArchive<http://www.clearsilver.net/archive/>,
it's written in Python, Clearsilver, SQLite.. is "real open-source" (BSD
License), and hits most of the features on your  ModernArchiving wishlist
plus a bunch you didn't (author pages, redundant text elimination, cookie
preferences.

As for the features it doesn't have from your list: Editing would be easy
to add because it's sqlite (deciding on the auth system is probably more of
an issue than the editing). Anti-Crawl code is really an issue of
configuration for cheap in-memory state-management. NNTP is well. that
would be a big job that I doubt will be bitten off by something as "small"
as a list archiver.

Sadly I can't point to any lists using it at the moment, because, well,
it's hidden under a rock. I'll injest an archive of the mailman list so you
can take it for a spin.

> As I was talking about hyperkitty we touched briefly on what I think is
> one of the central conundrums about having only unofficial third party
> archivers:  how to have a consistent programatic interface available over
> http.

What is the REST UI used by? CSLA supports RSS. When it comes to a more
involved REST UI, what software would be hitting it? I don't think I'll
understand your other API/REST points until I see an answer to this.

> Grackle is another archiver for mailman that doesn't have the UI bells and
> whistles of hyperkitty but it does make an effort to expose a REST UI to
> the world.  I think that's a beautiful thing.  But I don't like that a site
> that wanted both would need to run two archivers
> that were saving mail into two sets of storage.

I think here you are entering into a catch-22. If you have a single storage
system, then you have a single storage schema, which means you have a
single set of things you can do fast and most other things become
impractical (because they would require synchronizing state).

I'm quite sure, for example, that the Grackle schema is not the same as the
CSLA schema, and that many CSLA features would be impossible with the
Grackle REST API. (short of just using it to suck everything down, but then
you're just duplicating).

Why is message duplication an issue?