On Tue, Mar 27, 2012 at 7:20 AM, David Jeske <dav...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm writing to find out the state of and philosophy surrounding pipermail
> in mailman,

There's been a lot of discussion of this over the years; you should spend
some time in the mailman-developers and mailman-users archives
looking for it, because neither the needs nor Barry's philosophy have
changed much over that time period.  It would be really nice if somebody
would summarize it in Python-PEP fashion, but that's above and beyond
the call of duty from your point of view.  (Ie, it would be useful, but you
may prefer coding etc, and that's fine too I believe, though I don't speak
for Barry, although I occasionally get lucky channeling him ;-).

> Unfortunately, pipermail doesn't do a good job formatting
> messages for html.. (messages with no line-breaks are the most
> annoying problem I regularly run into)

Doing a *better* job of formatting HTML (than pipermail) is easy.
Doing a  *good* job is going to be relatively hard, though.

> If there is some code (and time) I can contribute to mailman/pipermail, I'd
> like to do so.

A better pipermail probably would be a good thing, as transition to
Mailman 3 is likely to take several years, and Mailman 2 is likely to
continue to be used for several years.  However, IMO you should
focus on low-hanging fruit, as there are now much better alternatives
to the technology used in pipermail, to the point where rewriting from
scratch (or adapting a 3rd-party product) for Mailman 3 makes sense.

> a) pipermail is fine... if you want to fix a bug or two submit a patch, but
> we don't want to improve it

Pipermail is fine for EOLing Mailman 2.  Improving it would be good, but
only if archive formats don't need upgrading and at minimum expense
of effort, IMO.

> b) we're ditching pipermail entirely... in the future sites will have to
> choose an install an external archiver

Pipermail is going the way of the dodo, yes, but there will be something
bundled with Mailman, I'm pretty sure.

> d) we'd love a dynamic-ui replacement for pipermail... as long as it uses
> the same cgi/templating model as mailman ui

A dynamic UI replacement seems to be a very good idea to me.
Sites running mailman at all will be running a dynamic UI for the
admin, so I see no good reason to stick to static for the archives.

AIUI, the current philosophy is that

(1) the communication from Mailman to the archivers will be via
LMTP/SMTP, including a Mailman-specific header to identify the
message's permalink (currently the SHA1 hash of the message ID
in BASE32 format, IIRC); and

(2) the summary, search, and retrieval UI will be a separate
application from Mailman per se, which will communicate
with Mailman via the REST API for authentication and user
configuration purposes.

Some ideas that have *not* been elaborated as "philosophy", but
which I think are consistent with various desiderata and Barry's
general approach and specific statements are

(3) an archiver Handler for the pipeline will be provided, which
will store posts in maildir format and do nothing else; and

(4) a simple default summary/search/retrieval application will
be bundled with (but have a separate development cycle from)
Mailman.

Even if that's not the current philosophy <wink/> that's the
direction I would propose.

So if you have already developed some stuff, I certainly would
love to see you put it on the table as a candidate for the
Mailman 3 default archive web UI.