On Mar 27, 2012, at 09:32 PM, Stephen J. Turnbull wrote:

>Well, for the official poop you'll have to wait for Barry, but AFAICS
>archivers aren't restricted to Storm + RESTish (which is what Mailman itself
>uses) because they're separate applications.  If the archiver/web UI is going
>to be distributed *with* Mailman, Barry would probably prefer Storm + Django
>because that's what Mailman/Protorius (core and admin web UI, resp.) are
>using.  But I imagine that's negotiable as long as everything is free
>software.
>
>I don't think the database backend much matters, but Mailman and Django
>are both happy to use sqlite, I believe.

What Stephen says above is pretty accurate.  See also my previous follow ups
in this thread.

The core engine uses Storm as its ORM, which I think officially supports
SQLite, PostgreSQL, and MySQL, though it's probably compatible with others out
of the box or easily so.

Mailman itself currently only supports SQLite out of the box because that
comes with Python, and we have donated support for PostgreSQL.  I'd love for
someone to donate MySQL support; I think it would be easy for someone with
MySQL experience, there isn't much that would need to be added to Mailman,
there are good examples now, and I would of course be happy to help.

The biggest problem with multiple database support is ensuring we're getting
good testing with them.  I do almost all my tests with SQLite and we don't
have a buildbot/jenkins farm yet to test all combinations (and Python 2.6/2.7
:).

>> I'm not a fan of javascript client-side rendering because of the generally
>> poor performance, poor mobile compatibility, and lack of benefit for this
>> kind of application.
>
>Not my pidgin, you'll need to talk to Toshio/Barry about that.
>>> AIUI, the current philosophy is that

As a third party archiver, I can't tell you what to do, but my personal
preference would be that JS is fine if it enhances the user experience, but
that it be possible to perform basic archiver interactions without it.

Cheers,
-Barry