Matthew Pounsett writes:

 > If someone was going to undertake a rewrite of Postorius, using a
 > different web development framework (e.g. Flask, but pretty much
 > anything that isn't Django) would at least remove one major moving
 > part from the install process.

Rewrites of Postorius or HyperKitty to use a different web framework
in the near or medium term are extremely unlikely, at least by the
core team.  And of course if you want to actually get rid of Django
you have to do both.

HyperKitty and Postorius between them do use a lot of Django
functionality: the ORM, the social authentication module, the
templating, sass, and so on.  I don't know how much of that is easily
implemented with Flask or other "lightweight" frameworks plus easily
plugged-in modules, and how much is going to be a lot of
do-it-yourself work.

I'm not saying "don't do it", but it's not obvious to me that you'll
really buy that much simplicity for anybody without (to me, anyway)
prohibitive amounts of effort.  Note that both Barry and Brian opted
for rearchitecture as well as complete rewrites of functionality
common to the existing and new versions.  There's good reason for
that!