On 2023-11-27 at 13:42:58 UTC-0500 (Mon, 27 Nov 2023 10:42:58 -0800)
Randolf Richardson, Postmaster via mailop <rand...@inter-corporate.com>
is rumored to have said:

        What have you found to be some of the best approaches to convince
clients that the confirmed opt-in process is necessary for operating
eMail lists?  (The ethical aspects are pretty straight-forward.)

Specifying it explicitly in service contracts and making absolutely sure that the customer is aware that failing to confirm opt-ins will result in immediate permanent service termination, and they may receive any data associated with their account shipped to them on physical media by request. That is obviously only possible with full management support.

We've had exactly one misunderstanding of this in the past 15 years. As you say, the ethical aspects are clear and we have the luxury of being able to screen customers well. I expect this is only feasible for similar operations where mailing list hosting is not a free-standing offering, but only something we offer to our mailbox customers.

--
Bill Cole
Not Currently Available For Hire