Wasnt' there an article on how engagement rates for confirmed double opt-in vs unconfirmed were a LOT higher.. a few years back?

I think if you can point to the higher engagement rates, that even with lower total subscribers you are more effective in your email marketing.

Anyone have a link to that article, or was this something hidden at M3AAWG?

        -- Michael --

On 2023-11-27 11:04, Randolf Richardson, Postmaster via mailop wrote:
Am 27.11.2023 um 10:42:58 Uhr schrieb Randolf Richardson, Postmaster
via mailop:

        Many marketing people seem to be terrified of the idea of
users having to confirm their consent when subscribing to a mailing
list (e.g., by following a unique link in an eMail message to
complete the process).  The marketers almost always say "it will be
too complicated for the average user," and want to eliminate the
confirmation step altogether (which is not an ethical approach from
my perspective).

Tell them that not doing opt-in will make them spammers and that the
servers of your company will be listed in blacklists, so you cannot
reach anybody until that listing is expired.

        We already do this, and we refuse to host any eMail lists that are
not confirming consent properly because of the ethics considerations,
and for the very reason that you just covered.

Without a confirmation, everybody can simply subscribe any address and
that will be abused.

        I agree.  What I'm trying to do is convince non-technical management
to side with taking care to respect consent instead of siding with
the marketing people who obviously don't care.  In a way, this is a
struggle between technical people who care about consent vs.
marketing people who just want to advertise and use damage-control
methods to clean up the mess (the marketers also seem to refuse to
care about the ethics or the blacklists, and have the attitude that
everyone's replaceable as long as they get what they want).

Even the confirmation messages can already be used for mass mailing if
an abuser submits the form many times for many addresses.

        Yes.  There are ways to mitigate at least some of that, but these
techniques are beyond the scope of what I'm asking for -- I'm trying
to find ways to persuade management that the technical measures are
necessary and must take precedence over what the marketers want.

        (Thanks for your prompt reply.)

Postmaster - postmas...@inter-corporate.com
Randolf Richardson - rand...@inter-corporate.com
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada