I wasn't aware that 'make disttest' was supposed to add any other arguments to its 'perl Makefile.PL'. Is that documented somewhere?

Ahh, of course! disttest, simulating what happens when you distribute
your module, shouldn't pass through your local command line options. Unless someone has a convincing argument otherwise.

well, I can see both sides and I'm not going to argue (too much) in my favor here :)

however, what I use disttest for is to verify that things like my MANIFEST are current - basically I compare how the test looks when run with disttest (in addition to making sure it passes, of course). so, in the case that brought it to my attention, disttest couldn't run at all because it was missing a crucial bit of configuration information.

so, yeah, I guess that disttest as it works now lets me know what happens when somebody doesn't configure the Makefile properly. but it doesn't really let me know what an end-user will see when they do configure it properly. of course, I can test the former myself by mis-configuring the initial Makefile, but I have no easy way to test the latter without some additional support.

anyway, thanks for taking the time to at least think about it :)

--Geoff