Ideally, Makefile.PLs should be able to run without any extra args or user
interaction taking at least sensible defaults.  Shouldn't it be able to
scan around a few likely locations for your Apache directory?  At the
very least, you can fall back to an environment variable.

yeah, the appropriate routines do fallback to an environment variable, so yes there are ways for me to get around the issue. there may not be for others, though, which is what I was trying to say (I think... it was early).

in general, it was just a suggestion. I think I've heard enough to understand the issues and see that I'm probably using disttest in ways it wasn't intended - after all, if nobody has complained about this by now, I guess it's not important to the masses.

thanks

--Geoff