Bill Moseley wrote:
On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 05:27:26PM -0500, Randy W. Sims wrote:
to configure the behavior of Module::Build based distros, so what you want is:

mbuildpl_install_arg =>
  q[INSTALLDIRS=site install_base=/home/moseley/local],

I'm running CPAN.pm 1.83 and my config includes:

    'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALLDIRS=site PREFIX=/home/moseley/local],
    mbuildpl_install_arg => q[INSTALLDIRS=site
install_base=/home/moseley/local],

CPAN: Module::Build loaded ok

  CPAN.pm: Going to build D/DR/DROLSKY/DateTime-Format-Builder-0.7806.tar.gz

Sorry, PREFIX is not supported.  See the Module::Build
documentation for 'destdir' or 'install_base' instead.
Running make test
CPAN: YAML loaded ok
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't test
Running make install
  Make had some problems, maybe interrupted? Won't install

If a dist contains both a Makefile.PL and a Build.PL, I think CPAN.pm tries to run the Makefile.PL by default, so it would invoke MakeMaker with the 'makepl_arg'. You might try setting 'prefer_installer => "MB"'. This should arguably be the default since if there is a Build.PL, then the Makefile.PL is most likely a pass-through script rather than a native MakeMaker script... but not always. Either way it is never wrong to prefer Build.PL, but can be problematic to prefer Makefile.PL.

(Also, M::B in CVS has support for PREFIX, thanks to Schwern's efforts.)

Meaning all I'd need it makepl_arg with PREFIX?

Right, you can install the latest developer release if you prefer to use PREFIX:

<http://search.cpan.org/~kwilliams/Module-Build-0.27_07/>

Randy.