Hey Ken,

On Mon, Feb 06, 2006 at 08:03:08PM -0600, Ken Williams wrote:

> On Feb 6, 2006, at 3:01 PM, Bill Moseley wrote:
>
> >How do I setup CPAN.pm to work with both MakeMaker and Module::Build?
> >
> >I want to install *all* modules locally using CPAN.pm.
> >

> >    'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALLDIRS=site PREFIX=/home/moseley/local],
>
> You have a couple options here if you install recent-enough versions of
> M::B and/or MakeMaker.  The recent betas of M::B support --prefix,
> which is the same as MakeMaker's PREFIX, and the latest versions
> (betas?) of MakeMaker support INSTALL_BASE, which is the same as M::B's
> --install_base.

Seems unfortunate that for something as mature as Perl I need betas
to install language extensions, no?

> >Yet, if I use:
> >
> >    'makepl_arg' => q[INSTALLDIRS=site
> >install_base=/home/moseley/local],
> >
> >Then installs fail due to "bin" not being based on the install_base.
>
> I'm not sure I understand this - could you elaborate on how it fails?
> Is this using Module::Build or using MakeMaker?

I have a Catalyst-based application and I was trying to see what it
takes to get all the module dependencies installed on a reasonably
new Debian Stable machine as a non-root user.  So I setup CPAN with
"install_base" as described at http://catalyst.perl.org/calendar/2005/10
and then running the CPAN shell with "install Catalyst".

When I finally got around to the make install part it failed to
install catalyst.pl it tried to install to /usr/bin instead of
$HOME/local/bin.  Everything else when to $HOME/local, just not bin.

A few people commented that I should try with a current version of
CPAN.pm.  So, I started over today by first updating CPAN, but still
had to switch between using PREFIX and install_base depending on the
module.  Spent a good two to three hours editing the MyConfig.pl and
re-running CPAN.pm.  Made me appreciate those .debs. ;)

Finally got everything installed I needed, and along with the
dependencies:

    $ du -hs local
    17M     local

    $ find local -type f | wc -l
    902

Besides Catalyst core, I'll bet there's really only about 50 to 100
files that I really need for my application to run.

At least CPAN didn't try and upgrade Perl today. ;)

--
Bill Moseley
[EMAIL PROTECTED]