> You know, there are a number of things about this discussion that really
> disturb me....
>
> 1) It seems to conjure the most dogmatic nastiness...insisting that anyone
> who doesn't agree with such-and-such obviously doesn't know or care
> anything
> about schizophrenia, etc.

Well, I would say that anybody who blames Sarah Palin's crosshairs on
Loughner doesn't know anything about schizophrenia. Sorry, but that's just
my opinion.

> 2) The subjects of really questionable political importance, as far as
> I've
> seen.

Well, that's not true. The media is burning up with discussion about
Loughner's culpability, the Tea Party's, etc. We have an obligation to
speak meaningfully about what happened. As Mason pointed out, Loughner
asked Giffords about whether words have meaning, not why she is allowing
Mexicans in to the USA. The left is bent on making it about the latter but
that is a false assessment. In fact, even if Loughner did say it was about
the Mexicans, I would still say that it was brain chemistry and not hate
radio that is responsible.

> 3) We don't know about this case, really, do we?  It's just guesswork
> based
> on what we're being told.

Somebody wrote on my blog that Loughner was "faking it" in order to avoid
the death penalty. That's guesswork of a sort, but fairly idiotic. My
assessment is guesswork as well, but buttressed by school administrators,
professors, and just about everybody who came in contact with Loughner for
the past 5 years. The problem with the Loughner = Tea Party school is that
it finds this information inconvenient. Typical in some ways of the way
that the left operates unfortunately.