If I am reading Oudeyis correctly, he is saying that nature is determined by human interaction with it; that nature is strictly a product of the unity of human purposive activity and natural conditions; and that nature is a function of human labour. If by "nature" we are only referring to that portion of reality that humanity consciously observes and/or acts upon, then Oudeyis successfully makes that point. But this conception of reality restricts nature to human experience, which can only be a subset of nature. Nature must also include that which is beyond the observed and acted upon. The "unknown" - the not yet experienced - must also be taken into account in the creation of a materialist ontology.

It is certainly true that humans only consciously experience that portion of nature they observe and/or act on through the lens of culture and the plethora of human activity, a key idea in Ilyenkov's concept of the ideal. But how humanity, through its social relations, activities, languages, etc. *subjectively* experiences nature (individually or collectively) is a different question than the *objective* nature of nature itself. I can see little room for doubt that all these Marxists insisted upon making this fundamental distinction. They maintained that nature exists prior to and independently of humankind, holding the ontological view that nature also includes that which humankind has not yet - and may never - experience. I am aware of no evidence to support Oudeyis's claim that the conception of nature held by these classical Marxists was restricted to only that which humans have interacted with and/or laboured on.

- Steve