#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

----Original Message----- From: Louis Proyect

On 7/13/15 11:28 AM, Michael Karadjis via Marxism wrote:
Paneuropean Gallup International poll, December 2014. 52% in Greece
favor return to national currency.
opinion.co.uk/per…/resources/global-we-tables-weight1-v6.pdf

In small print at the bottom of the 52 percent findings:

"Disclaimer: Gallup International Association or its members are not
related to Gallup Inc., headquartered in Washington D.C which is no
longer a member of Gallup International Association.

MK:
Yes, but that doesn't prove that the Paneuropean Gallup International poll is wrong. Besides, my post noted two other, more recent polls:

"Bridging Europe poll, March 2015. 53% of Greeks in favor of grexit:
https://twitter.com/bridgingeurope/status/578889140684648448

"Bridging Europe poll, June 2015, not long before the referendum was
called. 63% not afraid of grexit. Compares very well with the 61.3% no
vote in the referendum which followed.
https://twitter.com/BridgingEurope/status/612669846568968192 "

Now of course I have no way of knowing whether these polls, or the polls that show the opposite (that most Greeks want to stay in Eurozone) are more correct. However, I'm inclined to believe these polls showing greater Greek support for grexit. Why? Simply, the supposed *enormous, total* contradiction between majority Greek opposition to EU-imposed killer-austerity and huge majority Greek determination to stay in the Eurozone seems just not realistic. A certain amount of contradiction, of confusion, yes, that is possible, and likely; but the total contradiction scenario makes it look as if the bulk of Greek people are far too naiive, far more than they are. Is it really possible that after all this time, after all this evidence of the blood-sucking nature of the EU, that a significant percentage of Greeks have not yet understood the contradiction between Eurozone membership and no austerity? We talk about it every day as if it is just so obvious, and assume that hardly anyone is Greece has realised? Entirely unrealistic.

Is it really possible that 61% of Greeks voted to reject the EU's diktat and almost none of them figured out that their vote also meant potentially a grexit? Not a majority of them, not a significant majority of them, but almost none? No, Greeks as a whole are somewhat more politically sophisticated than that. *Separate* to the issue of whether or not there was no alternative at this moment (due to Syriza leadership's decision to not plan a Plan B), I think it likely that the polls showing considerably greater Greek opposition to the Eurozone are far more realistic.