#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Thanks for the tip Fred. I read George Caffentzis, "Why Machines Cannot
Create Value...
https://libcom.org/library/george-caffentzis-letters-blood-fire

What would swell the ranks Marxist revolutionaries?  I'll tell you
after we get George out of the way.

GC's "defense of the claim that machines do not create value" is a
failure. His letters repeatedly prove that all human labor can not be
eliminated. However, that fact does even imply that machines don't
create any value.  What is this strange "value" that machine output
does  not have?

Self replication of automation is beside the point except to prove that
human labor  can never be eliminated totally. OK, but how does the
fact  that human labor was and will be always be necessary bear on why
"value" is set by human labor? Self  replicating automation is
impossible  and productivity  has  various limits, therefore  machines
can't create value? What a leap of logic! When automation becomes
self-replicating  will it be able to create value?

"The ratio between workers caloric input and labor output could never
reach 100%."  What about oil drillers? This false and irrelevant
conclusion makes it clear that GC is taking sides and resorting to
lawyer-like facts to win for his side. Damn the truth; just find data.
Remember "How to Lie With Statistics?"

Yes, machines don't give a "Magical something for nothing." Having
dismissed magic as a threat to the singular source of value, GC has
again  tried to divert our attention from the question, "can machines
create value?"

It all makes sense after one sees what Marx had in mind when he said
machines can not create value.

It seems that Marx-value is neither use-value nor exchange-value but
just the wages generated. Since workers are not being paid when
machines produce things, no value comes from machine production. That
does not mean that no income is generated or that the output is just
imaginary.

#########################

It's not a question of whether machines can do all work or whether AI
will be smarter than people. The question is will smart machines be
able to take over so much work from humans that we need to end wage
dependence? If we believe as an article of faith that machines can't
create "value" that does not mean that they can't replace workers.

Marxists could insist giving "to each" a share of the non-value output
produced by machines. That would swell the ranks Marxist
revolutionaries.

Our strange denial of the impact of machines have on the need for human
work has rendered most Marxists harmless, and therefore tolerated in
the academy as representatives of a monopoly radicalism. Capitalists
also support wage dependence, maximum resource plunder, and the
delusion that we are creators. All classes of parasites pretend they are
THE creators. What we have been given and destroyed has no standing in
the theories of of human pride.