#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Hi Gary,
I've been away from vzla for a while now and am restricted to what I get from aporrea, venezuelanalyis, what marta watches on telesur, globovision and vtv plus letters we receive from friends there. Certainly, the situation is grim there-- not impossible for a revolutionary government with Chavez's periodic audacity-- but the current government has certainly been stalled [presumably because of competing agendas and visions]. It occasionally takes important steps [like the move to local food distribution, the CLACs], and the response this week looks critical. Steve Ellner knows well what is happening, and I read his message in relation to tomorrow's opposition mobilisation [which I posted earlier] as saying, 'no pasaran'. Maduro's call for the 'red tide' vs the opposition march tomorrow says the same, and the focus on arming the militias [which should have been done already] points to the longer struggle. Years ago, Marx said that slaveholders' revolts put the sword in the hands of the social revolution. Let's hope.
    in solidarity,
        michael