#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Yeah but Orwell didn't give a damn about the colonial question. His
activities after the events in Spain were boot-licking exercises in the
service of the British Empire. When he named names for the intelligence
services he explicitly said that Paul Robeson and Henry Wallace were
"anti-white", a pretty obvious premonition of the notion of "reverse
racism". Whether the Popular Front period had more losses than gains for
the Communist parties worldwide is a debate that has to be totally removed
from Orwell's explicitly racist, sexist, homophobic, and imperialist
criticism of it that portrays itself as a left critique. It's not an
accident that the Cold War liberal Lionel Trilling wrote an introduction to
the book in 1952.

=====
Message: 5