#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

Chris Slee says: “RKOB quotes praise for the YPG and SDF by US generals.This just reflects cooperation between the SDF and the US in the fight against ISIS, something I have never denied.”

Well, do you want to suggest that the relationship between the US and YPG/SDF is one of cooperation between equals? On one hand we have the biggest imperialist power of the world and on the other a petty-bourgeois nationalist militia representing an important sector of the Kurdish minority in Syria. Really, one does not to be Einstein to understand that this is not a relationship of equals but a hierarchical relationship with US imperialism in the command.

This is also one reason, by the way, why the YPG/SDF fights for US interests (as well as its own nationalist interests) in Arab territories with hardly any or none at all Kurdish population. This is why the YPG/SDF acts as national oppressors in the Arab-populated territories in Eastern Syria.

Chris Slee says:”RKOB ignores the occupation of Afrin by Turkey.”

Answer: not true! See our statement with the very title “Syria: No to Turkey’s Attack on Afrin! Defend the Syrian Revolution against Annihilation!”, https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/no-to-turkey-s-attack-on-afrin/ (see also the collection of all our articles on Syria: https://www.thecommunists.net/worldwide/africa-and-middle-east/collection-of-articles-on-the-syrian-revolution/)

Chris Slee asks: ”If the SDF are the "foot soldiers" of US imperialism, why did the US do nothing to stop the Turkish invasion of Afrin?”

Answer: because the YPG/SDF is too small and weak to satisfy the interests of US imperialism in Syria. Washington needs more and stronger allies and hopes to win over Turkey in one way or another. But, as we have seen since some time, this is highly difficult and contradictory. Turkey would be a very insecure ally. So Washington is manoeuvring and tries to keep YPG/SDF and at the same to improve cooperation with the Erdoğan regime.

Personally, I think it is entirely possible that the alliance between US imperialism and the YPG/SDF could end at some point. This could be the case when the US no longer needs them as foot soldiers. This could be the case either if the US has found a stronger ally (Turkey comes into mind). Or if the US completely withdraws from Syria. But the US-YPG alliance would not end because of any anti-imperialist impetus of the YPG/SDF but because Washington has found a better mercenary. In this context it is possible that the YPG/SDF finally joins the camp of Assad and Russian imperialism. No improvement to the present situation. Just a replacement of one bloody reactionary master by another.

--
Revolutionär-Kommunistische Organisation BEFREIUNG
(Österreichische Sektion der RCIT, www.thecommunists.net)

---