#1 YOU MUST clip all extraneous text when replying to a message.
#2 This mail-list, like most, is publicly & permanently archived.
#3 Subscribe and post under an alias if #2 is a concern.

On 8/6/18 9:02 PM, Nick Fredman via Marxism wrote:

> Lucky RKOB wasn’t around to give heroic keyboard advice to Tito and Ho Chi
> Minh about never collaborating with the US, or theremight still be a Nazi
> occupation of Yugoslavia and a Japanese imperial occupation of Vietnam.

Louis:
> I think the analogy might be more like Bandera collaborating with the Nazis.

I assume Louis is referring to the possibility of the PYD
collaborating directly with the Assad regime, including its vile hints
of helping it attack Idlib, rather than its collaboration with the US,
which, problematic as it is in countless ways, is directed against
ISIS and so cannot be compared to Bandera etc. I think that Chris and
Nick are right that at this stage that is only conjecture, but the
PYD's opportunism and extraordinary blind spots are open to all in the
way they make statements that even leave such a possibility open.
Collaborating with a regime that has just released over 8000 death
certificates for those it has held in detention for years (which says
nothing of the 80,000 whose whereabouts is unknown) and which right
now is arresting and killing activists who signed onto its various
"reconciliation" agreements just so as to stop getting bombed, would
indeed be 'Banderite' and I hope the PYD doesn't go down that path.

I assume Nick's comparison of Tito and Ho with the PYD refers to their
collaboration with US imperialism to defeat ISIS, rather than the
possibility of collaborating with Assad. Leaving specifics aside,
let's say OK. Here's a question for Nick, Chris and anyone else who
would like to answer, especially people who took part in grotesque "No
war on Syria" rallies when the US theatrically hit a few empty
buildings some months ago, where not a soul was even hurt, but who
never protested years of US bombing Syria on behalf of the YPG, even
though it killed 2000 civilians and reduced the city of Raqqa to total
ruins. Here it is:

Would your Tito/Ho Chi Minh analogy also have applied to the
FSA/rebels if the US had entered the war on their side by bombing
Assad's forces to bits, reducing some Assad-held cities to rubble, and
killed thousands of civilians, to facilitate an FSA entry into
Damascus?