I may be repeating myself, but at this stage I fear more a peace keeping
force that would occupy the place more permanently, and that would
appear to some Palestinians, Jews and Arabs, as a "saviour" (for a
while).

Also, in a somewhat perverse way, possibly the installation of US,
NATO.. bases in Palestine, could toll the end of the Zionist State, and
its replacement with something even worse for the area.

I sometimes feel that Israel has overlived its usefulness for the
imperialists. Its costs, relatively, too much for advantages that could
otherwise be obtained cheaper - in the financial, military, diplomatic,
economic... sense.
It's just a subject for thought.
Alexander

Javad Eskandarpour wrote:

> [...]
> failure of nerve, his cowardice, are now likely to set off an
> Israeli-Palestinian war even more terrible than what we have witnessed so
> far.
>
> But let's pause for a quick journey down memory lane; to September 1982,
> when Ariel Sharon was "rooting out the network of terror" in the Sabra and
> Chatila refugee camps in Beirut. Before sending Israel's murderous
> Phalangist militia allies into the camps, Mr Sharon told the world that the
> Palestinians had assassinated the Phalangist leader, Bashir Gemayel. This
> was totally untrue, but the Phalange believed him. And evidence is now
> emerging in Beirut that, long after the Americans had called for Israel to
> withdraw the killers from the camp, the Israeli army, commanded by then
> Defence Minister Sharon, handed more than 1,000 survivors over to those same
> murderers to be slaughtered over the following two weeks. This, primarily,
> is why Mr Sharon is so worried by the attempts to indict him for war crimes
> in Brussels.
>
> Hasn't Mr Powell glanced through the State Department archives for 1982?
> Hasn't he read what Mr Sharon said back then, the same ranting about "terror
> networks" and "rooting out terror" that he employs today? A lexicon which Mr
> Powell himself is now enthusiastically using? Has he forgotten that the
> Israeli Kahan commission held Mr Sharon "personally responsible'' for the
> massacre of those 1,700 civilians? Does Mr Powell really think that Jenin,
> albeit on a smaller scale, is much different? Even if we dismiss all the
> Palestinian claims of civilian butchery, extrajudicial executions and the
> wholesale destruction of thousands of homes, what on earth does he think the
> Israelis are hiding in Jenin? Why doesn't he go and look?
>
> Yes, the Palestinians' suicide campaign is immoral, unforgivable,
> insupportable. One day, the Arabs – never ones to look in the mirror when it
> comes to their own crimes – will have to acknowledge the sheer cruelty of
> their tactics. They have not done this so far. But since the Israelis never
> attempted to confront the immorality of shooting to death child
> stone-throwers in the early days of the intifada or the evil of their
> reckless death squads who went around murdering Palestinians on their wanted
> list, along with the usual clutch of women and kids who got in the way, is
> this any wonder?
>
> In the annals of war, the conflict in the Middle East has reached a new
> apogee, but the story of the United States' involvement in the Middle East
> will never be the same again. Thanks to Mr Powell, President Bush and Mr
> Sharon, America's credibility has been shattered. Israel, it turns out, does
> indeed run US policy in the region. The Secretary of State sings from the
> Israeli songbook. So when, oh when, will the Europeans screw their courage
> to the sticking-place and become the peacemakers of the Middle East?

Les "Editions Democrite" publient un mensuel en francais :
> "Les dossiers du BIP" avec des traductions d'articles provenant de la
> presse communiste(grecque, allemande, anglaise, turque, russe, espagnole,
> portugaise...)sur des evenements qui interessent des lecteurs
communistes.
> Editions Democrite, 52, bld Roger Salengro, 93190 LIVRY-GARGAN, FRANCE
> e-mail : [EMAIL PROTECTED]
begin:vcard
n:MOUMBARIS;Alexander
tel;fax:00 33 (0)1 43 81 21 66
tel;work:00 33 (0)1 43 01 01 30
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
adr:;;52, bld Roger Salengro;LUVRY-GARGAN;;;FRANCE
version:2.1
email;internet:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
title:Editions Democrite
fn:Alexander MOUMBARIS