I've just started playing with dhcpd on Linux this weekend.  If I run
it on my test server, everything's fine.  If I run it from my
production gateway machine, my test win95 system can't find the dhcp
server.  The only thing different is one line in
/etc/sysconfig/network.

In the test machine the "gateway=" line has the address of the
production gateway.  On the gateway machine, the line is just
"gateway=".  I've been doing this since my early RedHat days.  If I
add my own ethernet ip address (192.168.1.3), the machine hangs as
it's going through the files in rc3.d, specifically xntpd, one of the
early ones.  I tried putting in my static ip from my isp, and
changing "gatewaydev" to ppp0, with equally bad results.

On the test machine, I was seeing syslog errors about network
unreachable before I added the gateway address to
/etc/sysconfig/network.  I see nothing from my log on the gateway
machine.

I checked "TrinityOS" documentation and added the "route" line
recommended.  It doesn't seem to help.  Thanks anyway, David --
nice try.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  I'd like to use
DHCP on my next Linux gateway installation for a client, but if I
can't, I'll live.  TIA.

Charlie Shoemaker

"Some people crave baseball - I find this unfathomable - but I can
easily understand why a person could get excited about playing a
bassoon."
Frank Zappa