On Mon, 14 Dec 1998, David A. Ranch wrote:

> >   Ummm...  would putting in 127.0.0.1 as the address on the host that has
> >the server work? I did that for the default nameserver in my
> >/etc/resolv.conf, and all of a sudden a lot of things worked better.
>
> Using 127.0.0.1 has your Linux box's primary DNS server will only
> work if you are running a cachine DNS or authoritative DNS server.
> Regardless, anyone who is running Linux for a MASQ server, be it
> a dial up line, ADSL, Cablemodem, etc, should setup a caching
> DNS server.

   I suppose I assumed too much.  Red Hat, as far back as I can remember,
installs a caching nameserver by default.  So, yes, I had that in mind
when I set 127.0.0.1 as my primary nameserver during my last installation.
I do upgrade it later to be primary master name server for the .private.
domain, so it can provide both authoritative local service and forwarding
service to support Masquerade.
   I seem to have spoken too soon about the improvement in performance,
though.  I thought it was making pine a lot quicker about putting outgoing
e-mail into the local sendmail queue while off-line, but then the next
time I did that pine hung for a minute or so until something or other
timed out.  Maybe there's a setup parameter for pine that will force it to
always send its outgoing mail via 127.0.0.1, but I haven't run that down.
   One thing the Red Hat installation instructions have never come to
grips with is the case of the host being installed being the name server,
and the gateway, etc.

Jack Carroll