Eric Firing wrote:
> Similarly, after dealing with mlab, I would like to simplify pylab.
> Right now, we have a horrible tangle of namespaces in pylab.  Cleaning
> this up will potentially break user code; if a numpy function formerly
> could be referenced with three different names and we knock that down to
> one, code using the other two will not work.  My guess is that in
> practice the amount of breakage will be *very* small and easy for users
> to deal with.

I for one will be happy to change my code; numerical stuff in numpy, plotting
stuff in pylab (or pyplot?), though some things like linspace() may be hard to
loose; that's really an mlab function and I can import mlab. It probably makes
more sense.

For the C library you say "man strcpy" or "man erf" and it tells you what
include file to use to get the definition (function prototype). In python you
only get the help after you've already imported. But it was and still is
reasonable to have an import statement like an #include to define stuff you
need. If I'm looking at somebody else's code and I see "linspace" or something,
it would be nice to have a "man linspace" or so, that tells me which module I
need to import. Is there a way to convert doc strings to man pages?

Speaking as somebody who has bascially switched from "write it in C and use
assembly for speed" to "write it in Python and use C for speed".

--
I say to you: good and evil which would be everlasting- it does not
exist! Of its own accord must it ever overcome itself anew.