Ryan May wrote:
>> I for one will be happy to change my code; numerical stuff in
>> numpy, plotting stuff in pylab (or pyplot?), though some things
>> like linspace() may be hard to loose; that's really an mlab
>> function and I can import mlab.

I'm a big namespace fan. I'd much rather see us all do something like:

import pyplot
import numpy as N
import mlab

etc.

In this case, there should be little name overlap between these modules,
and you could "import *" all of them if you really wanted.

However, they are not all maintained by the same folks, so some overlap
may occur, and that's a good reason for keeping them in separate namespaces.

In any case, it needs to be decided what the point of the mlab module
is. There was a discussion about this a few (quite a few!) years ago
when there was just Numeric, and it came with an mlab module (at least I
think it was called mlab). At that point, we decided that Matlab
compatibility wasn't really the point -- the point was that there were a
number of nifty utilities in Matlab that people missed, and that the
stuff in mlab wasn't completely Matlab compatible anyway (numpy and
Matlab are just plain different, after all). We more or less decided to
what we really needed was a "Utilities" module that could hold some of
those nifty useful functions (like linspace, etc), but not much was done
at the time. Since then, numpy as gained quite a bit of those features
anyway.

So for this mlab module -- what is the goal?

1) A Matlab-like set of tools? In that case, it way want to default to
matrices, rather than arrays, etc. If that's what's wanted, I'd make it
a stand-alone module, that imports what it needs from numpy, but
provides a complete API.

2) A bunch of extra utilities that numpy doesn't have, but are handy. In
that case, I'd have it include only the extras, and one would need to
import numpy and mlab both. It could also "import *" numpy , then add
the extra stuff, but I'm too much of a namespace fan to advocate for
that. What happens when numpy adds a name that clashes with an mlab
name, for instance?

-Chris

--
Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

[EMAIL PROTECTED]