I have been gradually numpifying mlab.py; I hope this is not a
duplication of effort with someone else. I have not finished yet (and
have made no commits), and it may still take a while--there are a lot of
things to change, and I am trying to do some cleaning up and
rationalization, not just mechanical numpification. I will probably
commit a mlab1.py version so as to facilitate some extra testing before
making the switch.

I am trying to simplify and shrink the mlab namespace, with the idea
that if a function exists in modern numpy it should simply be imported
from there.

Similarly, after dealing with mlab, I would like to simplify pylab.
Right now, we have a horrible tangle of namespaces in pylab.  Cleaning
this up will potentially break user code; if a numpy function formerly
could be referenced with three different names and we knock that down to
one, code using the other two will not work.  My guess is that in
practice the amount of breakage will be *very* small and easy for users
to deal with.

Eric