I second Eric's concern about pyplot being imported into everything. It
will really mess up the people that are embedding matplotlib into guis
because pyplot starts up gui mainloops if you are using an interactive
backend.

There is a genre of question on SO that is 'why isn't pyplot playing nice
with my gui'.

Tom

Thomas A Caswell
PhD Candidate University of Chicago