Eric Firing <efiring@...> writes:

> This would require pyplot to be imported by everything, wouldn't it?
> That would completely defeat the strategy of having an OO level that
> doesn't know about pyplot at all, and then having pyplot be the thin top
> layer.

Requiring pyplot isn't necessary, instead one may merely check if it's
available. The following is what we do in a similar situation:

  try:
      fake_fig = matplotlib.pyplot.figure()
  except AttributeError:
      msg = 'matplotlib.pyplot is unavailable.  Execute `import ' \
      'matplotlib.pyplot` or use a different output mode.'
      raise RuntimeError(msg)

(obviously, one can substitute figure() call to gca())

Anton

> Eric
>
> > I haven't sat down and thought through all the details of such a change,
> > but I wanted to throw it out there to see if anything sticks.
> >
> > Cheers,
> > -Tony

------
> > See everything from the browser to the database with AppDynamics
> > Get end-to-end visibility with application monitoring from AppDynamics
> > Isolate bottlenecks and diagnose root cause in seconds.
> > Start your free trial of AppDynamics Pro today!
> > http://pubads.g.doubleclick.net/gampad/clk?
id=48808831&iu=/4140/ostg.clktrk