On Tue, Jul 9, 2013 at 1:43 AM, Nelle Varoquaux
<nelle.varoqu...@gmail.com>wrote:

> On 9 July 2013 08:24, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
> > On 2013/07/08 7:19 PM, Tony Yu wrote:
> >> This is an idea that's been kicking around in my head for awhile.
> >> Basically, the Axes class is way too expansive. Nelle made a major step
> >> in the right direction with a PR that split it up into plotting and
> >> non-plotting methods:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/matplotlib/matplotlib/pull/1931/files
> >>
> >> What I'd like to see is something that further separates plotting
> >> methods into many smaller sub-modules/-packages. Organizing the code
> >> this way would make it easier (for me at least) to read, understand, and
> >> make changes to the code.
> >>
> >> I think that this could be done in an API-compatible way. In fact, a few
> >> of the plotting methods are already implemented this way: In other
> >> words, the bulk of the methods are implemented as functions outside of
> >> Axes, and the Axes methods that are just thin wrappers around those
> >> functions (or classes). See, for example, `streamplot`, `barbs`, and
> >> `quiver` methods
> >
> > I agree.  I would like to see logical groups of plot types broken out
> > into modules.
>
> That's the second step in the refactoring of the axes module.
> We now have to discuss how to organize plots in subtypes that make
> sense. At Scipy, we discussed a bit about it, and we think it should
> follow the same organization as the gallery, but I don't know whether
> the gallery reorganization is logical enough right now to start the
> refactoring straight away.

I knew I should have dropped by the matplotlib sprints :) The gallery
categories really aren't that logical, but as long as the functions aren't
meant to be directly imported from their sub-modules (instead you would use
the Axes method or pyplot function), then nothing needs to be permanent,
right?

> Should we discuss about this here, or in a ticket?

It's probably easier to discuss on a new ticket.

Cheers,
-Tony