Example script for using mathtext.fontset:

import matplotlib as mpl
import numpy as np
from matplotlib import pyplot as plt

mpl.rcParams["mathtext.fontset"] = "stix"

x = np.arange(-5, 5, 0.01)
y = x*x

plt.plot(x, y)
plt.xlabel(r"$x$")
plt.ylabel(r"$x^2$")
plt.show()

Apparently the axis labels are correctly rendered using STIX fonts, *but*
in a bitmapped way (?). At least, on my retina screen the labels look fuzzy.

How can I change also the tic labels to use STIX fonts?

By the way, the following is a useful idiom to search for relevant
parameters in the rcParams:

[k for k in mpl.rcParams.keys() if 'font' in k]

I think it would be useful to document this -- where would be a good place?

Finally, could somebody please explain what 'rc' means? This does not seem
like a good name to me.
I know it comes from the UNIX world, but I couldn't find an explanation for
'rc' on Wikipedia.

OK, I found it:
http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/R/rc-file.html

This is not good -- there is *no* reason to use the nomenclature 'rc'; this
is just confusing for users who find it arcane and unwelcoming (I speak
from experience).

Could it not just be called
mpl.parameters,   or  mpl.mpl_parameters,
or something like that?

Best,
David