On Saturday 20 July 2013 09:59:45 David P. Sanders wrote:
> OK, I found it:
> http://www.catb.org/jargon/html/R/rc-file.html
>
> This is not good -- there is *no* reason to use the nomenclature 'rc'; this
> is just confusing for users who find it arcane and unwelcoming (I speak
> from experience).
>
> Could it not just be called
> mpl.parameters,   or  mpl.mpl_parameters,
> or something like that?

Hello,

I was just wondering what is wrong with using the name rc (because it's just a
convention how to name your variable)? It is still used quite widely on UNIX
(and Mac OS is still a UNIX :)). Also, it is documented here:

http://matplotlib.org/users/customizing.html

I see your point though, in this document there isn't a single word, that the
'rcParams' stand more or less for the parameters which are initialised when
matplotlib loads or starts plotting.

Do not know if we should change this page to add some explanation, why we use
*rc settings*.

Ignas