On Saturday 20 July 2013 09:41:58 David P. Sanders wrote:
> I have the STIX otf or ttf installed on my Mac, but I don't seem to manage
> to get the LaTeX versions installed -- installing LaTeX fonts is *so*
> disgusting (is there some helper script for that?).

There is a very good way to use otf and ttf fonts in LaTeX and matplotlib,
  which you might like:

http://matplotlib.org/users/pgf.html

With this method you can use LuaLaTeX, or XeLaTeX, both of which have
options to load OTF or TTF fonts. This would be done via the LaTeX preamble
in the .matplotlibrc file, which might be storred in the home directory on
your Mac (just a guess, since I do not normally use matplotlib with a Mac).

This might be a bit of a steep learning curve if you haven't done anything
more serious with matplotlib, but you won't have to install the fonts,
which, I must agree, *is* painful.

Hope that helps,

Ignas