Hi,

> On 5 Jun 2015, at  11:17 AM, Sourish Basu <sourish.b...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> On 06/05/2015 10:17 AM, Jody Klymak wrote:
>> Anyways, I guess I am advocating trying to find a colormap with a very
>> obvious central hue to represent zero.  Anomaly data sets are *very* common,
>> so having a default colormap that doesn’t do something reasonable with them
>> may be a turn off to new users.
>
> I agree that jet does a bad job with anomaly data, but I disagree that having
> a diverging colormap as default (or even a "diverging" argument to anything
> that takes a cmap value) would solve that. Very often the "zero" of an
> anomaly is not at the center of the extrema, and requires creating a custom
> diverging colormap anyway (see attached example).

Well, I *strongly* disagree with that attached example!  It makes it look like
-0.5 is equivalent to +1.5!  Unless there is a really strong reason to do that,
I think that is poor practice as it makes your negative anomalies look far
stronger than your positive, and that is not the case in the underlying numbers.

Cheers,   Jody

> OT, I recently found a nice alternative to jet
> here:https://mycarta.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/new-rainbow-colormap-sawthoot-shaped-lightness-profile/
>
> <https://mycarta.wordpress.com/2014/11/13/new-rainbow-colormap-sawthoot-shaped-lightness-profile/>
> It takes care of my biggest crib with jet, which is that there is not enough
> perceptual variation in the middle of the range.
>
> Cheers,
> Sourish Basu

Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/