Hi Eric,

> On 5 Jun 2015, at  12:20 PM, Eric Firing <efir...@hawaii.edu> wrote:
>
> Reminder: in matplotlib, color mapping is done with the combination of a
> colormap and a norm.  This allows one to design a norm to handle the
> mapping, including any nonlinearity or difference between the handling
> of positive and negative values.  This is more general than customizing
> a colormap; once you have a norm to suit your purpose, you can use it
> with any colormap.

Though I was hazily aware of norms, I’d not really seen that before.  I
particularly like the example at
http://matplotlib.org/examples/pylab_examples/pcolor_log.html

This seems useful enough that a section under “User Guide:Advanced Guide” would
be really helpful.  An example that displays all the canned norms, and maybe
how to make a custom norm.  I only found the pcolor_log example by searching
for colors.lognorm, which I only knew about from your comment above.  There a
few hits on stackexchange, but those are for specific instances and hard to
find by random.

I could help do this, but it’d take a while to actually learn how to use the
norms.

Thanks,   Jody

> Maybe this is actually what you are already doing, but I wanted to point
> it out here in case some readers are not familiar with this
> colormap+norm strategy.
>
> Eric

Jody Klymak
http://web.uvic.ca/~jklymak/